7 Coastal Inspired Living Rooms That Make You Feel Like You Are on Vacation
A coastal-inspired living room brings up memories of sunny, sandy beaches, clear blue skies and seas, and the laid-back feel of a
tropical vacation in an exotic locale. Even if you can't make it to a faraway island, you can create that feeling in your living room.
These spaces make us feel warm, comfortable, and cozy on the inside, with a personal touch that makes them relaxing and peaceful to be in.
You can quickly transform a living room into a coastal-themed room by creating a neutral palette, adding pops of texture and color, and
mixing in coastal-style furniture pieces.
1. Playing with Patterns
From slipcovered chairs to
with turned legs and casters, this living room offers plenty of inspiration. Pretty patterns add dynamic interest,
and the blue in the more traditional-stripe pillows is echoed in a free-form pattern on additional pillows.
The non-traditional woven sea grass area rug weaves them all together.
2. Making Nautical New
The design in this living room features a solidly nautical color palette with deep blues and clean whites.
The living space is outlined by a striped rug, making the upholstery and
coffee table stand out.
Though traditional in color, the pillows and chairs feature patterns and designs that give the space a fresh, modern look.
3. Embracing Neutrals
Subtlety is key in this stunning and subtle coastal-inspired living room. The neutral colors and gorgeous windows that stream in light give the
space a light and airy look and feel. The soft white walls and upholstered furniture, including the
add an elegant appeal to the space. The abstract blue art on the wall adds just enough nautical blue.
4. Showcasing a Statement Accent
Colorful Coastal Design | HGTV
Sometimes all it takes is one piece to give the living room a coastal look. The model sailboat is the focal point in this space,
giving it a coastal theme. The bright pops of pink and subtle neutrals create an understated vibe.
5. Focusing on Fine Art
This casually sophisticated living room creates a stunning backdrop for wall art, and the windows bring in tons of light.
The room is solidly neutral, letting the art take center stage.
6. Opting for Natural Materials
Sometimes all it takes is one or two touches to add coastal style to a space. A sisal area rug, rattan chairs, and a blue sofa
give this space a decidedly coastal flair.
7. Utilizing Your Views
A more rugged, coastal farmhouse style is achieved in this casual living room with the rustic coffee table and exposed wood beams.
The all-white living space looks bright and refreshing, while the blues from the ocean outdoors and the natural fiber area rug complete the look.
Coastal Decorating Ideas for Living Rooms
Below are some tips to help you create your coastal-inspired living room. Keep in mind that these are guidelines and not hard-and-fast rules,
so interpret them for your style.
- Bold stripes – you often see bold blue and white stripes in a coastal-themed living room, on rugs, throw pillows, and upholstered furniture. This gives the space a casual look that references beach towels and umbrellas.
- Slipcovered furniture — this is common in beach houses, and so is a part of coastal style. You can fake this look with linen-like fabric, but whether you use slipcovers or upholstery, white, beige, or taupe are common colors.
- Natural fiber rugs — this adds texture to the living room and is often used because the raw natural texture and color represent the ropes used on boats.
- Bright accents – cottage-inspired living rooms usually feature neutral colors, so accent pieces that bring in bright colors can add energy to the space. Turquoise, teal, and jewel tones of blue and green will make the space pop.
- Throw pillows — this is another way to bring in some color. Solids, stripes, and bold prints are all excellent choices. Even batik design, Moroccan patterns, and geometrics work in these spaces, and give them an exotic touch.
- Sea-inspired accessories — shells, corals, sea-related prints, and brass are all used in coastal themes.
- Throw blankets — a casually draped throw brings in a laid-back feel as well as layers in some texture, giving the living room a purposefully lived-in look.
A coastal-inspired living room doesn't have to include all these elements. When it comes to refreshing your style,
consider your existing colors and accessories, and decide how bold you want to go with this style.